You are here: Home > Consumer Protection > Car Tips > Vehicle Winter Readiness
Vehicle Winter Readiness
The snow is falling and we are bracing ourselves for another cold winter. Winter can be hard on vehicles and a challenge for many drivers. Whether you’re planning a weekend away, visits with friends and family or just going to work, winterizing your car is crucial to keeping you and your family safe and your vehicle running well.
- Be sure to have a snowbrush/ice-scraper in your vehicle
- Check tire pressure and condition of tires
- Keep an emergency kit in your vehicle, including: battery jumper cables, flashlight, first aid items, a blanket and flares
- Check your windshield wipers and wiper fluid level
- Have heater/defroster system inspected
- Check the level of antifreeze/coolant in your vehicle
- Check your vehicle’s battery
- Remember…Stopping distances are longer on water covered, snowy or icy roads, know what your brakes will do
- Allow plenty of time (check the weather and leave early if necessary), be familiar with the maps/ directions, keep your gas tank full and let others know your route
The Department of Consumer Affairs’ mission is to make sure people who live or shop in Cuyahoga County get what they pay for.