You are here: Home > Consumer Protection > Saving At Home > Keep It Green While You Clean
Keep It Green While You Clean
Save money (and help the environment) by using household products for cleaning before you spend high dollars and reach for harsh chemical cleaners.
- Use the cut side of a lemon as a scrubber to remove rust spots from metal sinks and stains from laminate or ceramic tile countertops.
- Tie a baggie filled with vinegar over your showerhead overnight to clean it.
- Wipe vinegar on ceramic (not stone) bath tiles to remove soap scum. (Never use vinegar on stone tile.)
- Clean window glass with vinegar in a spray bottle.
- Use vinegar on pet stains on carpets, mop dry.
- Clean cutting boards with lemon and salt. Rinse clean.
- Sprinkle baking soda inside gym shoes overnight to freshen them. (Turn them upside down over a trash can to remove excess powder before you wear them.)
- Soak smelly or stained plastic containers in a solution of baking soda and water overnight before you clean them.
The Department of Consumer Affairs’ mission is to make sure people who live or shop in Cuyahoga County get what they pay for.