You are here: Home > Contact > File A Complaint

File A Complaint

To file a complaint, please call (216) 443-7035, Monday – Friday, between 8:30 a.m. and 4.30 p.m.  Complaints can also be filed on-line or by mail by downloading the printable complaint form.  Complaints filed by mail must include the following information:  explanation of the problem; address; telephone number; item purchased; cost of the item; date of the purchase, and; suggestions on how your complaint can be resolved.  Gasoline complaints must include the specific gas pump (i.e. pump number) and grade of gasoline.

To complete an online complaint, please select correct form:

We're sorry. Our online complaint form is temporarily unavailable.
To make a complaint, please contact the Cuyahoga County Department of Consumer Affairs at 216-443-7035.

If you would rather file by mail, please select the printable complaint form:
Send your complaint to:
Cuyahoga County Department of Consumer Affairs
2079 East Ninth Street - 2nd Floor
Cleveland, Ohio 44115
Or by fax: 216-443-5920

What Happens After We Receive Your Complaint?

Upon receiving a written complaint and its documents, the Department of Consumer Affairs determines the appropriate Division to handle it. For Weights and Measures, an inspector is notified of the complaint and will verify if the commercial device in question is accurate. If the commercial device is found to be inaccurate it will be taken out of service until corrected, and the consumer will be notified of the results.

For Consumer Protection, an investigator will review the complaint and determine the appropriate course of action which can include contacting the business and attempting to mediate a resolution or refer the complaint to the appropriate agency.  In some cases, it is necessary for the investigator to contact you prior to processing the complaint for additional information. Consumers are notified in writing that their complaint has been received within two week after receipt.

Keep in mind that if the disputed amount was charged to your credit card, you must act quickly to preserve your right to challenge a charge. This means not only working with our office, but also notifying the credit card company directly in writing within 60 days of the initial billing date. Information on how or where to file your dispute appears on your credit card statement.

The Department of Consumer Affairs cannot:

The Department of Consumer Affairs’ mission is to make sure people who live or shop in Cuyahoga County get what they pay for.